This privacy notice tells you what to expect when The Basket, (“we”, “us”) collects or processes personal information. All data is held in accordance with the guidelines set out in the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Privacy of Electronic Communication Regulation.
It applies to information we collect about:
- Users of our websites
- People who give us feedback, make suggestions, complete questionnaires
- Suppliers and agents
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
- Contact information including email address
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
- Your bank details to facilitate transactions
We will make sure that we only collect the data that we need, and will only use it for the purpose specified at the point it was collected. Some of this information is imperative to enable us to provide a service (such as contact information).
We automatically receive and save certain types of information whenever you interact with this website. We use the information to monitor website traffic and to assist with the navigation and user experience of the website. Information that we will automatically receive includes:
- Requested URL (Uniform Resource Locator)
- IP (Internet Protocol) address (this may or may not identify a specific computer)
- Domain name from which you access the internet
- Referring URL Software (browser/operating system) used to access the page
- Date and time pages were visited
We may use and analyse the information we collect so that we can manage and improve the services on the website. Demographic and statistical information about user behaviour may be collected and used to analyse the popularity and effectiveness of the website. Any disclosure of this information will be in aggregate form and will not identify individual users.
Our site also uses services from Google on this website to measure and analyse visitor information. For further information on these, please visit Google’s website.
The Basket will not (nor will it allow any third party to) use the statistical analytics tools to track or to collect personally identifiable information of visitors to this website. We will not associate any data gathered with any personally identifying information from any source as part of our use of the statistical analytics tools.
How do we use your data
Where we process your data we will only do so where there is a legal basis. This includes the following:
- Where there is a contract – like where you have asked us to provide a service and we need to process your data to fulfil our obligations
- Where you give us consent – like where you have told us you’d like us to send you direct marketing or you engage with our platforms (you can edit your permissions at any times by logging in to your account)
- Legitimate Interest - We carefully balance your rights when we think there is a legitimate interest in us processing data to support you, for example using a third party processor (such as google analytics) to improve your experience using our website.
As outlined at the beginning of the policy, we use your data to:
- To provide you with the services, products of information you asked for
- Keep a record of your relationship with us, to enable us to respond to queries and requests efficiently and accurately
- To ensure we know how you prefer to be contacted
- Understand how we can improve our services, products or information
Alongside the uses identified above, we also use your personal data to ensure we can improve your experience using our website and services, and to ensure you get relevant communications. We may do this through building profiles or targeting communications or research.
Marketing & Communications
We’ll always act upon your choice of how you want to receive communications (for example if you want to receive our newsletter or information about offers). However, there are some communications that we need to send. These are essential to fulfil our promises to you as a buyer of goods or services from The Basket.
- Transaction messaging such as payment receipts
- Shipping updates
We use online advertising to keep you aware of what we're up to and to help you find our events and services. You may see Bristol SU adverts and banners when you are on other websites and apps, such as social media.
We manage this through a range of digital marketing tools including the Google Ads Display Network and Facebook retargeting. The banners and adverts you see are based on information we hold about you, your previous use of our site, or on information you have submitted yourself to other sites and social media tools that offer us advertising services.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
We may use third party companies as data processors to carry out certain administrative functions on behalf of The Basket. If so, a written agreement will be put in place to ensure that any personal data disclosed will be held in accordance with the General Data Protection Act, will only be used for the purposes specified by The Basket and will have appropriate security measures in place. Any data used for these purposes is destroyed once used.We do not sell or share your personal information for other organisations to use.
Alongside these actors there may be some circumstances where we give access to personal data to the following:
- Contractors (this might include partner organisation, who have worked with us to provide a service, such as National Express when you purchase coach tickets through The Basket)
When we allow access to your information, we will always have complete control of what they see, what they are allowed to do with it and how long they can see it. We do not sell or share your personal information for other organisations to use.
We undertake regular reviews of who has access to information that we hold to ensure that your information is only accessible by appropriately trained staff, volunteers and contractors.
Some of our suppliers run their operations outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Although they may not be subject to the same data protection laws as companies based in the UK, we will take steps to make sure they provide an adequate level of protection in accordance with UK data protection law. By submitting your personal information to us you agree to this transfer, storing or processing at a location outside the EEA.
We may need to disclose your details if required to the police, regulatory bodies or legal advisors.
We will only ever share your data in other circumstances if we have your explicit and informed consent.
How can you request your data or make changes?
You have a right to ask us to stop processing your personal data, and if it’s not necessary for the purpose you provided it to us for (e.g. processing your order) we will do so. Contact email@example.com if you have any concerns.
You have a right to ask for a copy of the information we hold about you. If there are any discrepancies in the information we provide, please let us know and we will correct them. You can already correct some of the information we hold by logging into your account on this website.
If you want to access your information, you must complete a Subject Access Request Form with a description of the information you want to see and the required proof of your identity by post to the University of Bristol Students’ Union, Richmond Building, 105 Queens Road, Bristol, BS8 1LN. We do not accept these requests by email so we can ensure that we only provide personal data to the right person.
Changes to this statement
We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time. If we make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information we will make this clear on our Website or by contacting you directly.